Monday, February 09, 2009

Burlington has sold out...

We have shopped at Burlington Coat Factory plenty for baby related things over the years. They (at least the one here) have tons of baby clothes, tons of different baby toys, accessories, car seats, strollers, cribs, swings, gates, and the list goes on and on. We have bought a number of car seats there, at least one stroller, mattresses, changing tables pads, and lots of other stuff there.

Last time we went looking for a crib mattress, a mattress in the price range we were looking for was at Burlington. It was about $35, if I remember right. Lots of other places around town had mattresses, but they were $100 or more. I really don't think a 30 pound toddler needs a mattress better than anything I have ever slept on. It is not like they are exactly displacing anything while they are lying in the bed, they are just too little. Additionally, some of our kids don't have a good track record of actually sleeping on their bed. (Although they have been better about it lately, once they actually get to sleep.)

Anyhow, Ruth has torn her mattress to shreds. I am sure she had help, there has been plenty of jumping going on in that room over the years on that bed. I finally got around to going up to Burlington to get her a new one today. We also needed a new changing table pad, the one we had had a few rips in it, and the events of last night caused us to have no choice but to replace the thing. Trust me, you do not want the details.

I found the changing table pad, right where I expected it, and it used to be that the crib mattresses were right there also. No sign on them today. I wandered around the baby section, and found a display with some mattresses, but they were $60 to $150. ("Pamper your baby in comfort!" and "Mom, you don't want me sleeping on just any old thing, do you?" or something to that effect was the advertising with pictures of happy little babies.)

I wanted the $35 mattress. Ruth and Lily are still jumpers, and Adam has all the signs of being a world class jumper. (Really. You should see him in the UltraSaucer when her really gets going...) I will buy them a more expensive twin mattress when they get older and need a bigger bed. And don't jump on it anymore.

It took a while to find an employee, the one I got didn't seem to know much about crib mattresses, and went to look for someone else. I followed her quest to find someone else, since I was fairly pessimistic about my chances at that point. She found someone, I heard a "He can't find our mattress display?" Around the corner came a crusty older lady.

As she tried to shuttle me over to the more expensive mattresses, I tried to explain that we have bought a cheaper $35 mattress there before, she went into some sort of sales mode, where she explained that they didn't carry any $35 mattress there, their cheapest was $60, and they had some nice mattresses that were a little more. I pointed in the direction that the changing table pads were, where there also still had the cheaper bassinet mattresses, and an empty spot on the shelf where crib mattresses might have been. Then she launched into some sort of 'Government Regulation' story about mattresses that I really didn't believe. I ended up walking out of the area with my changing pad but no crib mattresses.

Tonight, I went looking around on Amazon, but didn't find what I was looking for. Tara suggested Walmart, and bingo - there was the $35 mattress we were looking for. It is the exact same brand we have purchased before. Only it is $40 at Walmart. (It has been a couple of years since we bought one of these.) I ordered it, had them do 'Site to Store', and it is on its way.

My theory about Burlington? They let Sealy and Serta pay them off to stop carrying the other cheaper mattresses. The baby department there is pretty big, and I am sure it is possible. I am very tempted to look at other places before look there again, or at least go to the other place (likely Walmart, really) if the prices are close if we need more baby stuff...

No comments: