Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's not dead yet, oh wait, yes it is

Parts came for my laptop today. They were here late in the morning. I almost got excited. I spent part of the morning installing things on the loaner that I needed to do my job, the other half of the morning missing the and while I was typing because the keyboard is so much smaller than I am used to.

Anyway, I went up after lunch to see about the machine, it was sitting on the desk all put together. I asked about it, they said they replaced the parts, and turned it on, it worked for a couple of seconds, then it died again and wouldn't come on again. They ordered a new system board. (I would have ordered the system board from the start, myself, but what do I know?) The system board will be here in 2 days, "tomorrow if I'm lucky". I just hope it boots up again. I was looking for a couple of files today on my usb drive (I had done a backup 2 months ago of important docs), and the file I really needed was too old and useless.

I ended up installing Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel on the machine after I got tired of wordpad. (It only took 83 seconds.) Tomorrow I may break down and install OpenOffice on the loaner if things drive me crazy enough.

Beth (Office 'assistant') is going to order the new laptops (she is calling them 'mobile workstations' for some reason) tomorrow. They should be here in three weeks.

The Wellness program on campus is doing a 6 week weight loss challenge. I was thinking about asking Beth to be on my team (She is something like 7 or 8 months pregnant), but I figured I should wait until I have the new laptop in my hands before I make her mad at me...

No comments: