Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Junk food shopping

I spend $65 at the store after work. Pringles were on sale for a dollar a can, So I figured why not?

Just kidding. Santita tortilla chips were a dollar a bag, I got 15 of them. They are guarenteed fresh until March 15th, I'll easily have that beat. Pringles were a dollar each, I got six of them. Mary wanted chocolate milk, so I got a gallon. (Does chocolate milk count as junk food?) Tara wanted me to get the fridge packs of pop, they were on sale 4 packs for $11, and if you bought 4, you got 2 2-liter bottles for free. I got 5 packs.

I also got Tara some allergy medicine ($15) and bought my weekly set of size 3 diapers and size 5 diapers ($11 each), so it's not like it was all junk food in the $65...

Do torilla chips really count as junk food? They are made from ground corn, and corn is good for you, right? In the last area of my mission, there was a lady named Barbara who went to a bunch of stores early in the morning when the bread delivery and chip delivery came in. The vendors gave her all the old stuff that didn't sell, but just past the sell by date. She would collect all this stuff and take it to the local food shelter. She also stopped at the missionaries place every day to drop off food. (There was 4 of us in the apartment, she really brought more than we could eat.) If we were out of bread, she would bring a loaf. About once a week, she would bring a pie. The first day I met her, she brought chips and salsa. This wasn't just bottled salsa from "New York City", (no offense to the people of NYC, just remembering the old PACE picante commericals) but it was fresh salsa, the kind you get in a cheap plastic container, that usually goes bad in a week. Anyhow, she brought it, no one else wanted it, so I ate it for lunch. (Anyone who knows me good enough should know that I can drop a bag of chips with salsa in no time.) I commented to her the next day how good it was and how much I enjoyed it, and every time she could, she dropped off chips and salsa. I think it was 3 or 4 times a week, at least. Chips and Salsa became my staple for the last 4 months of my mission. (Sometimes I wouldn't wait for lunch, and just have it for breakfast...)

It didn't kill me, I got by just fine, how could chips and salsa be a junk food? (I realize that there are people who say "My uncle Charlie smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day for 80 years, and he was in fine health until he died", but would chips and salsa really kill me?)

In high school I had a chemistry teacher who used to always tell the story about how he once got posioned by eating too many strawberries...

No comments: