Monday, September 18, 2006

"Contest"

We got a letter in the mail today, with a $2000 check. The letter said something to the effect that I had won 2nd place in a contest, worth $100,000. They were sending the check to help defray the $1,900 surcharge, transfer of vital documents, like settlement claims certificate. I'm a little skeptical because of this link.

12:25pm:
"Checking a file on a computer. I was awarded a $100,000 check. We are an insurance company so that we can provide assistance. We are there to provide the help for you to get the payout you are entitled to. Mr. Johnson is in a meeting, he will be out in 5 minutes, and can help you get all the information you need."

Of course, the first guy garbled his name when he said it. When I called back at 12:53, got VM with no name, and "leave a message at the tone."

At 12:57 - I got back to the first guy I talked to:
"I found out what happened, he gave me access to his files. You got a check for $100,000. Federal law says that the company has to issue a check for $1900 to pay the IRS. As soon as he gets out of his office, he will give me the rest of the money. It helps so that you can pay for the International sweepstakes. Give a call back in 8 minutes, he'll be out of his office then, and I will have more information for you."


At 1:15pm - VM again.

Well, this sounds fisky to me. Sorrel thinks I should open an account in Houston or Pheonix, and deposit the check, then come back in a day or two, and withdrawl all but is little of the money, leaving the account open. Then I walk away with that money. At this point, I might just wait and call them back tomorrow If nothing else, it's a little amusing. (For instance, why can the phone jockey not give me any 'more info' without the as of yet anonymous Mr. Johnson? Why am I calling a number in North Bay, Ontario? Is it really a phone relay to somewhere else?) If I ever talk to them again, I will try to get their company info out of them, and a name.

No comments: