Monday, September 18, 2006

Travelog (to Houston)

Yesterday I flew to Houston. I got stopped at security, as usual, so they could check to make sure that my bi-pap was not some sort of explosive device. The screener was suprised that I needed one, and was making a minor deal out of it. The guy in line behind me heard this, pipped up and said that he worked for a pharmasutical company, and if I called him, he could get me something that would make it so I didn't need the bi-pap. I laughed at him, he told me not to laugh, and gave me his card.

His card did not indicate that he was from a drug company, but listed him as a "lifestyle trainer", and on the back of it, had some baloney about how working too many hours of the day left you too little time for yourself. Some sort of crap like that. On the plane, waiting to take off, I wondered what he thought sleep apnea was, and why it would impress me that he worked for a drug company. Anyway, I kept the card, just in case I need a good laugh, or someone to send junk mail to.

Our flight took off about 10 minutes late, they were looking for the passenger who got on the wrong plane. We actually landed a few minutes early in Houston, but our gate wasn't quite ready, we ended up sitting for 25 minutes waiting to pull into the gate. My luggage was in the last batch from the flight, I waited 30 minutes for it to spit out, then I didn't recognize it for the first turn around the luggage conveyor.

I had picked the flight I did so that I could hop on an HP bus to the hotel, the conbination of waiting for the gate and my luggage made it so I missed the oppotunity to take the bus, I picked up a shuttle. The shuttle had 10 people in it with 9 different stops. It was quite a ride. (I was the last one off.)

The hotel is attached to a very large mall, which is good if you want a quick bite to eat. They have a skating rink in the middle of it.

The bus to the convention center runs from 6:30am - 7:30 am central time. This is a little bit of a struggle, especially after not having gotten to bed anytime before 1am last week...

Steve E just got in, he's at the airport. He's picking up a shuttle, and flies out at the same time, so I told him to get the same shuttle service, and we can go out there at the same time. Steve tells me we have an invite for dinner on Wednesday.

They just broke out the caffinated beverages, I'm going to go get me one, then do a little studying for my test before the first class at 12:15.

No comments: