Thursday, October 26, 2006

Dead DVD player

Our DVD player is dead. I don't know why, we only use it about 25 hours a week... (The hidden cost of Netflix.)

You open up the door, insert the DVD, and it says "No Disk". Just sits there with that stupid little look on it's face, not doing anything. It's really irritating.

I called Samsung, we bought the thing at the end of last November. They had us try a couple of things, then fairly quickly indicated it needed to come in for repair, if they couldn't repair it, they would replace it. I have to fax in our receipt, because by serial number, the warrentee expired in September, but they will extend it out 3 months past now if I can prove I bought it when I did. (Nice.) They are not charging for labor, their website says it's only 3 months parts and labor, 12 months parts, but I have to assume (based in part on what I saw from comments on other sites) that they have had problems with these machines, and loosened up their policy. I'm not going to complain, especially if we get a new model machine.

It's a DVD/VCR combo, and the whole thing has to go back. The girls may start having DT's because they can't watch their shows. Maybe their rooms will finally get cleaned.

For now, we are using my $4000 DVD player to watch DVDs. (Laptop) I meant to fax the thing today, but I am still home sick. Maybe I'll get off my rear end and do it later. I want to fax it in, and get the warentee verified before I ship off the unit to the repair center. (The VCR side still works, the girls get a few day reprive.)

In the meantime, I just removed the DVD enttitlement to the girl's Netflix profile, and added it to mine. No reordering of the queue or anything was required. Nice.

No comments: