Tuesday, October 03, 2006

or not to email

At work this afternoon, we lost our DNS forwarding to off campus. This means you can not connect to off campus sites, mail doesn't come in our out, that sort of thing. This made me think it was a good thing, my list of emails didn't increase.

This made me remember the section of my "Time Management for Systems Administrators" book that talked about email. He recommended not using your inbox for saving tasks, but writing things down and make priority lists. This lasted about 2 items for me. I did for a while tape a piece of paper to my desk so I could write things down when people walked in, but I didn't want to do whatever it was they wanted right away... (This was usually good for getting rid of them.)

The problem with my making priority lists for work is that I have 2 priorities: "Now" and "Very Soon". (With an occasional 3rd: "Yesterday")

If I can keep the list under 20, for combined Stake and Work, I think I'm doing pretty good...

No comments: