Sunday, October 01, 2006

General Conference

Tara, Kate, and I went up for the Sunday PM session of Stake conference. (The stake had 12 tickets left for that session as of Wednesday night. I eventually gave them all away to people in the stake, but we kept 3 of them for us.)

We weree way up in the balcony, but we were smack dab in the middle, so they were actually pretty good seats.

I got confused in the middle, I could have sworn I heard them say the General Primary president was going to speak, and I closed my eyes a couple of times, but I didn't think I had actually fallen asleep, and then figured I missed something. Turns out I wasn't paying enough attention to the list of speakers.

They sang "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" during the closing hymn, some girl in our section jumped up, everyone else did too. I didn't know if it was everyone in the conference center, or just our section, and didn't stand. (Tara and Kate didn't stand, either, since I wasn't) Is there some sort of unwritten thing about standing up for that song? Then it looked like people didn't know whether to stand or sit for the prayer.

A few years ago, at the devotional on campus, people started standing up for the closing song. (They had been doing it for a little while.) It was Elder Packer or Elder Maxwell there, he jumped up and bawled everyone out for doing it, and said it was a growing evil in the church. (Memory is hazy here, I need to do more research) Anyway, they haven't had a closing song in the devotionals since that time.

No comments: