Thursday, October 19, 2006

Election Judge training

Today was Election Judge training for the election in a couple of weeks. It's always the same, an hour of boring lecture they could get through in 15 minutes if there wasn't people there who just can't seem to grasp the concept.

This year they have thrown a new factor into the equation. We are doing electronic voting, and have these machines that people need to be familiar with. This adds 90 minutes to the training.

Now, this stuff is nothing to get worked up about. The instructions they provide for the workers at election time takes them step by step through the entire process. Nothing at all to worry about. (And it's really not that complicated...) Anyway, you should have seen the looks of sheer terror and panic on the faces of some of these old ladies who are so afraid of the machines they don't even what to touch them. Sheer panic. I imagine they will do just fine, but every election I wonder if some of those precincts ever mess things up beyond all recognition. It's amazing the election process works at all the way some of these election workers all. I have no doubt that it wasn't just the voters who fouled up South Florida so bad a few years back, I'm sure the election workers (needlessly) complicated things then.

Anyway, they made me the Poll Manager this time also. This means I get to run the show over in our polling place. We'll get it right. (See, I'm brimming with confidence...) I just have to figure out how many machines they are sending us, and talk to the school about where in the world they can stick us, I don't think we will fit in the hallway...

No comments: