Monday, October 16, 2006

It's too bad I'm not the victim of a crime yet.

Although I have had several offers here in the office this morning...

I found the letter and check from the contest I 'won' yesterday on desk. I took the check in to a place this morning, they called Wachovia bank, the account on the check is non-existant. They kept the check, and gave me a copy.

I went to the post office to see about talking to a postal inspector about the letter. It turns out that there is not a local person. I got tired of trolling through their phone system trying to get to a human. (And netflix is considered a letter. Drop it in the 'letters' drop box.)

I went to the local FBI office. I was talking to the guy through the window, he asked me in. After I came in and we started talking, he asked if I had any guns, knives, or other weapons. I said no, which really is the only right answer in that situation in that case. He asked if I had lost any money, I hadn't, so there was really nothing the FBI could do. (Something about people who had lost $1,000,000 vs someone who had lost $0.) I asked if the Postal Service would do anything, he thought they wouldn't because I hadn't lost any money. He suggested I file a claim at the Internet Crime Complaint Center. I really haven't been a victim of a crime, and so far, it hasn't been a electronic crime, so there's not a whole lot for me to do.

Maybe I should contact some publishing companies to see if they want me to write a book on tracking down these guys. If they were to give me a stipend in advance of writing, I'd have some money to take a trip to Ontario... (To chase things down.)

No comments: