Sunday, December 24, 2006

Alien Christmas Talk

Tom was a little disappointed that I didn't mention the Alien Christmas Talk during my talk in church today.

10 years ago, I was home for the holidays. The Bishop of my parents ward was fairly new, and he asked Michael Bass to speak. This is not something I would even attempt. The talk started fairly benign enough, but quickly steamrolled into something else.

Core to the talk was the fact that Jesus and Heavenly Father could do the things they could do, travel across space, etc because of the alien technology they possessed. They flew around in space ships, that kind of thing. It was fairly bizarre as things go, especially from the pulpit, but the Bishop just let him keep going. (He may have been too shocked to move.) I am not even doing the thing justice here, maybe someone else can chime in.

The funniest thing about the whole talk was that a BYU religion professor was visiting. The look on his face got funnier and funnier as Brother Bass kept going on and was sounding crazier and crazier. After the meeting, I was talking to this professor, and he really didn't know what to say about the whole thing. Words could not express what was going through his mind. I talked to him about a month later about it, he was still speechless. He told me he had never heard anything like that from the pulpit before.

Now, if the Bishop was in the ward today, or the Stake President had been in attendance, I might have tried to pull something, and I will have to tell them the story if my talk today comes up in the future, but I figured I might as well stick to the doctrine.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Actually, the bishop who assigned those gentlemen to speak in sacrament meeting knew he was going to be out of town that Sunday and left some pretty green counselors in charge..... I think that although he is a very kind and loving man, he must have a mean streak in him.........

Pro Payne said...

It seems like the Bishop was out of town for this meeting... The counselor went with "don't add commentary to Sacrament meeting talks."