Thursday, December 14, 2006

The US Postal Service

So, in the past, there have been unkind words on this blog in relation to the Postal Service. I won't even put the links here in this entry, because this it's that kind of entry. I have something positive to say for once.

I went to the post office to mail a couple of items. I got a box and waited in line. When I got up to the counter, they told me that shipping would be $9 plus the $2 for the box, and suggested a "Flat Rate Box". The Flat Rate box is a priority mail box that costs $8.10. That's it. The box and shipping - $8.10. 39 pounds? - $8.10. I think this is a pretty good deal. They say that the box just has to retain it's shape. I took the flat rate box option. They also have a flat rate envelope. I figure, if something fits in the future, that's the way to go.

Driving home, I was trying to figure out why. I figure it's 2 reasons. #1 - it would be really hard to get 40 pounds worth of stuff in it, things are likely to be light enough for any postal worker to handle. #2 - With a standard size and shape of a box, it must make it much easier to stack the things when they ship them. All the odd sized boxes must make it hard to optimize space in a truck when things get mailed, and the 'building block' shape must really help.

Also, online, you can order packs of these boxes for free. They just deliver them to you. What a deal.

No comments: