Friday, December 08, 2006

Hair Cuts

I have been going to the campus barbershop for haircuts for something like 13 1/2 years. A year or 2 ago, they renamed the place the "Barbershop and Salon". They had hired a couple of stylists, and they convined them that money could be made catering to women. It looks like soon, they might try renaming the place the campus "salon", and stop any pretenses of keeping the barbers around. Today I stopped in to see what things looked like (as in "How long is the line?"), and it was all woman cutting hair.

Now, I don't have a problem, per se, with a woman cutting my hair, but I don't like the following:

  • Having to explain that I really want it short on the sides, and just barely long enough to comb over on top. (because I want to go more than 4 weeks between cuts.)
  • Having to play 20 questions before they bother taking the first cut. I just want it short, and I have already sat around waiting for the haircut!
  • Dealing with the little simple chit chat on subjects I don't particularly care for.
  • Having my hair "styled" or anything like that.
For a couple of years, I only let one guy cut my hair. He never messed it up. He knew what I did for work, church, etc, and he remembered from one visit to the next. Then he quit and moved away. I spent several (bad) haircuts trying to settle on someone new in there. One of the guys asked me questions for several minutes about how I liked my hair cut, until I got mad and said "I just want it short!" He got the hint then.

The guy I have been getting my hair cut from I have been going to for about 2 years now. He knows what I do for work, the fact that I have 4 girls, likes to talk about sports, etc. He wasn't there today, I hope he didn't quit, but I wasn't in the mood to go in and ask them about it.

If you cut my hair, remember these simple rules:
  1. I want it short on the sides, just long enough that it combs down on top.
  2. My head is full of hair, I get hot when it's really long, there's nothing wrong with using those thinning scissors
  3. I don't want to hear you talking to the person next to you about the 43 things you did over the past weekend. You are supposed to paying attention to what you are doing.
  4. I don't want gel, I don't want hairspray, I don't want any fancy(pants) style or trendy cut, I'm not that kind of person.
Hopefully the guy I've been going to just had a day off today. If he quit, I will stop going there, they cost a little more, and if I'm going to have to deal with all that other crap, I might as well save $5 and get lunch money out of it also.

I'm also considering cutting my own hair...

2 comments:

Sorrel Jakins said...

I like to go to Reed. His hair is short, so he knows the meaning of the word.

Sorrel Jakins said...

I like to have my hair cut by Reid Francom. His hair is short, so he knows the meaning of the word.

I only had to explain it to him once, and now I just get the 'usual'.