Friday, December 29, 2006

Star Trek Communicator USB Drive

I had a Star Trek Communicator. Long ago it was put away with the batteries still inserted, and corroded pretty severely. I also had a spare USB drive, after losing one, getting a new one, finding the first, and writing a little script on my laptop to backup the data.

I decided it would be really cool to build a Star Trek Communicator USB drive. I took both units apart. The innards of the USB drive fit perfectly inside the communicator (emptied out). The lights used to light up on the communicator, and there was a little LED on the USB unit, and I found some little plastic sticks that light would travel through, and I planned to use those to light up the LEDs on the communicator from the USB drive.
I decided that solder would be a good way to reattach the LEDs to the communicator casing. The LEDs had been attached to the innards of the unit origonally. It turns out that this wasn't such a good idea, the heat from the soldering iron melted the plastic of the communicator.
It looks like I foiled my own plans. I'm not sure that solder was the best adhesive, maybe I should have found some super glue. (But then the spelling on the typing here might not be so good after I had super glued my fingers together...) Anyway, it looks like the "Star Trek Communicator USB Drive" was not meant to be.

I wonder what else we have laying around here I could use...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

classic John Payne moment. thanks for sharing.

rob