Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Election Poll Worker

I have been a Poll Worker here for our elections for a number of years. (Missing only a couple.) I figure it's the least I can do to help out, and it's usually good for getting a good portion of a book read. The county has moved me from precinct to precinct, depending on where they need me most. Generally it's older ladies and couples who run the polls, and the results vary.

This year they stuck me back in my own precinct, which is nice, because then I know most of the people who show up. (As opposed to knowing that they are in the Stake, but not much else.) I told them I could be a Poll Worker in June, but couldn't pick up the supplies, and in November I could pick up the supplies. (We'll ignore the fact that I now am at the Stake Center every Tuesday night for interviews for a minute.)

It turns out that they ignored my little note, and they plan on me picking up supplies in June. I will not have a car then, but I'm supposed to pick up the supplies. (I'm banking on the fact that Tom is getting his car picked and will be available to help.)

This year, they are introducing electronic voting. I have to go to 2 three hour sessions on how to setup, use, maintain, etc these things. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, but I would rather have myself do it and take care of it than worry about one of these older people trying and getting it wrong.

It should be interesting, voting electronically, look here in about 6 weeks for how it went. I just hope no one is planning an EMP blast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

try not to tinker with the machines. it'll only cause problems.