Thursday, May 04, 2006

The new laptop is allergic to Windows.


I got my new laptop today. It is very nice. (dual core processors, 2GB memory, 100GB disk, 17 inch screen, 512MB Nvidia graphics card) I decided that I needed a small Windows installation for things like Age of Empires. (Not much else, really.) Since it's easier to get Linux to partition around an existing install, I went to install Windows first, and you can see the results in the attached picture.

I ended up keeping the Windows install that was shipped by Dell, and shrinking the partition down to 12GB. (Why does Dell assume that everyone wants a Windows partition taking up their entire disk? Couldn't they provide some one-time partitioner for those who care about those type of things? Or better yet, have Linux as an OS option when ordering a machine.) I have yet to look at the Windows install they shipped, there will be plenty of time for that some other day.

Being a larger machine than the one I already had, I needed a new backpack. This was ordered with the machine. The backpack is very nice. I had a lot of work to do today, I only got far enough to install Linux and get the video working. Everything else will need to wait for a little while.

I have 2 weeks to move stuff and migrate over. In the meantime, I have 2 laptops sitting here.

No comments: