Sunday, May 14, 2006

Training

I have to train the newly hired Operations staff tomorrow morning. It's supposed to be BYU specific Unix stuff, they got generic Unix stuff on Friday morning from someone who is just a professional trainer, doesn't really get his feet muddy in anything... I only have a sketchy idea about what I will talk about, they only told me about this on Friday. I only have an hour, so I should be able to fill the time appropriately.

Every Wednesday morning, I do an hour of training for the other engineers in my department. I usually just pick a topic and go for it, the last month or so, I have been picking a topic and finding someone else to do the training. Nearly everyone else in my office will be gone this week, I may end up really busy fixing things, so I'm not sure what the training topic will be. Maybe I'll pull the old: "These are the (Major) things changing in the next couple of months. Who has questions?" It needs to happen sometime soon anyway.

The deadline for the Call for Papers is this coming Friday. So far, I still haven't gotten a topic that really reaches out and grabs me. As a fallback plan, I might pull a "A survey of HPUX security tools", but that sounds kind of boring to me. (It wouldn't be a challenge to put together, anyhow.) I don't know. It's too bad really, because I have a trip to Ft. Collins (Where a lot of the HPUX software engineers work) in August, any topic I pick and presentation I put together could be reviewed by an expert to make it even better. Maybe I'll get some inspiration during the week. I really don't want to do something I have already done before.

No comments: