Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The lost workdays

Monday morning I worked from midnight until 7. I came home to sleep, Kate rang the doorbell on her way in the house from kindergarden. This woke me up, I found I had missed 3 calls. From 12 to 1, or something like that, my phone rang off the hook. (Ringing in while I was talking to someone else, then I check the message they left, the phone rings again, etc.) On Tuesday, I spent the entire day working on a server hardware problem. Looking back on it now, it feels like I have lost a couple of days in there somewhere. That's ok, I guess, because I kind of feel like I lost the better part of last year, really. (With all the sleep issues I had...)

Anyway, I got everything fixed, people are happy, whether they know it or not. (They aren't complaining...) Today, someone called who was having problems, I refused to help, having already spend the better part of the week working on incidents, and not being on-call. The buck was passed, and I went back to doing the work I should have done yesterday. (It's not done yet, I will have to pick it back up tomorrow. I'm not even going to comment on the stuff I planned to do today...)

At least these kinds of things only happen a couple of times a year anymore. That leaves long periods of time for me to work on everything else.

No comments: