Thursday, July 26, 2007

Blood

Tara and I went to the church to give blood this evening. It didn't seem all that busy there really, but the people were slow so it took a long time. (Despite the fact that we both bled fairly fast.) The girl next to me on the little bed things nearly passed out.

Anyway, during our little Age of Empires tourney, I decided it was time to take the little wrap thing off. This was a mistake. Right after I took the thing off, blood came squirting out all over the place. I don't know if you've used that wrap material they use at the Red Cross, but once it's wadded up, it's kind of hard to use again.

I took off for the bathroom, and since the girls weren't asleep, I got Kate out of there. (Tara was gone.) I started rinsing the thing, just so I wouldn't get it all over, Kate went looking for a hand towel. I tried to call Tara a few times on her phone, but she didn't answer. (We need to work on that one a little, I guess.) Emma said "Dad, there's a lot of blood coming out. Why are you doing that? You're making the sink all messy." Thanks Emma.

Anyway, Kate eventually came back with a towel, and I stuffed cotton balls into the thing and got things stopped again. It was only a minor mess, I guess, but it was a mess.

After that, I was a little keyed up, and decided it was time to stop fooling around in the game. I called Dave to form a plan, then called Dad to ask for assistance by my base. (I wasn't able to type, I was trying to keep my arm above my head.) I think I woke my Mom up.

Long story short - When they say to wear the bandage for 4 to 5 hours, they mean it. (Not that this has ever happened to me before when I gave blood...)

No comments: