Thursday, July 05, 2007

Less effective sales pitches

There are 2 local ISPs that have been competing for elbow space here in town. One of them has been 3 different companies through time. It sounds like either they are now a new company again, so some of their employees left to go out on their own. We had a sales guy by the house today.

He explained the usual, after I told him we had only internet service and liked it that way, (I really don't want to be moving our phone to a new company, if that's what they are...) he started going into his little pitch about why they are better for Internet service.

They were offering to switch people to their service and wave their fee for setup. This is what he started to say: "Let me tell you why we are better. We have invested in a multi-million dollar blade server. This blade server..."

I stopped him there, and told him I had no intention to switch my ISP. Now, I know of no blade server that could possibly cost "multi-million". (They might have gotten ripped off.) If they paid that much for a blade server, it had better also serve breakfast for them, bathe their children, and take their laundry to the cleaners for that price.

Maybe they'll come back with something else to say in a month or so. I still won't switch.

Sales people that are dishonest and sales people that talk without knowing what in the world they are talking about really tick me off.

No comments: