Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Collateral protection insurance and annoying phone calls

My brother fairly recently bought our minivan. Hopefully is it everything they expected. In January sometime, or December, I forget which at this point, they took the van and put it on their insurance. (They were planning to finish paying it off later, which was fine.) I took it off our insurance. Now that I think about it, it was the end of December.

At the beginning of February, I got a letter from the credit union that they got notice that the thing was off insurance, and they expected us to have it on insurance. They wanted us to bring in the proof of insurance as son as possible. I eventually got around to calling Drew, and asking him if he wanted to bring over his insurance information, and continue making the payments. He ended up paying off the loan, they told us the title would be sent in the mail in 10 days. Fine by me.

About 5 days later, we got a letter asking about insurance for the minivan. I ignored it, because I expected to see the title fairly soon, and figured it was a letter that crossed in the system with the payoff and release of the title. The title came about a week later, and I didn't think anything more of it.

Tara called me this afternoon, we got a letter in the mail indicating that we had already gotten two letters about insurance for the vehicle, and if we didn't have our insurance agent send them a copy of our policy, they would charge a Collateral Protection Insurance charge of $460, plus interest, to our loan balance.

My reaction was to laugh about it, which wasn't really what Tara wanted to hear, really. The funny thing to me was that I had the title, and when they got around to attach the money to the loan, they would have found that loan gone.

I called after my meeting, and eventually got to talk to a real person. She asked how she could help, I explained that I was getting every increasingly hostile letters from them on a loan that was paid off, for a car whose title I had in my possession. She thought that was interesting. As she was looking up my account, she noticed that the minivan was paid off. I said "Yes, and your letters are starting to upset my wife. This is why I am calling you." She agreed that was a good reason, seemed to be looking at something in their system, then finally said "What we have here, is a failure to communicate."

She sent a message to the finance department and told me to call back in two days. She was brimming with confidence that this matter would be cleared up and we would not get any more letters about this from them. I hope so, otherwise I will be in their office to talk about it. Things might be sort of entertaining at that point.

Next on my list? There is some sort of State "Fraternal Order of Police" drive going on that we keep getting called about. A lot. Someone must have their feet to the fire about a quota for them to call us back so many times, they must be having problems getting donations.

We had gotten several calls from them at the beginning of February, they had left messages. One morning, they called and the guy on the other end started asking for the lady of the house. She was unavailable, I asked him if he had anything to say to me. He said "Oh, you are the lady of the house, well Ma'am..." My voice is in no way feminine. I stopped him, and let him know he was not talking to the lady of the house. He asked when he could call back. This ticked me off. The conversation went quickly downhill from there.

These people called back the next night, someone else (someone more intelligent) was calling this time. I asked her if they planning on calling every couple of days until we give in and turn some money over to them. she offered to have our number taken off their list, which I agreed was a good idea at that point.

Since that time, we have gotten called from them every few days. The last call was on Saturday. I keep missing these calls, and Tara doesn't answer them at this point. One of these days fairly soon, they will end up getting me home and seeing them on the caller ID. This will be unfortunate for the unsuspecting person on the other end of the line, hopefully for them they have a supervisor who can take the call from them right away. If "don't call back" means something like "keep calling back again and again", then they nailed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Collaterl insurance and or force placed insuranec is a common tactic used by lending institutions, I actually had a client call me as their car was being repossed because of this issue. instead of their payment going to principal and interest it was going to the insurance which made them delinquent enough to reposses their car. I helped them resolve this issue, bottom line don't ignore the letters

jjp said...

Ignore the letter? I have the title... Anyway, if they don't take care of it by tomorrow, they will have me in their office.