Saturday, March 28, 2009

Goal update

Some updates on our goals. I tried doing the pictures side to side, but took them from the old post, and it is not really letting me change the orientation, so they look kind of weird:
  • Reduce our family debt by 5 figures. We aren't going to be able to do this one this year. Next week we blow the thing out of the water, to get ready for putting on a second floor. We are still just a little over $19k now. Our new mortgage will come with a new lower interest rate, (currently sitting at 4.75%, I hope it drops again in the next couple of days before we lock in a rate, unless we already did without realizing it. The rate was 5% when we started the process 2 weeks ago.)
  • Watch more baseball on TV. The World Baseball classic helped, I missed a bunch of those games. The final between Japan and Korea was quite a game. Adam and I tried watching a preseason game between the Cubs and Rockies this afternoon, but we both fell asleep in the middle.
  • Finish some unfinished projects (Including some before and after shots):
















The little path right behind the house. It may look like this is just a complete mess, but it is about half the mess that it was a week ago. I would have worked on this a little more today, but there was the nap I mentioned earlier...

















The garden wall. This is done. I added some solar lights along the wall, they don't throw a lot of light, but what can I expect for $4 at Walmart? You can see the soaker hose down, just waiting for me to plant something that needs watering...

















Our closet. Which looks a hundred times better that it did before. I kind of like having a light in the closet.

My 200 puzzle sudoku book. I have finished 110 so these so far, and I can see myself finishing sometime this summer.

Our little closet thing behind the washer and dryer. I wanted to put shelves in this thing, and maybe pull the door to Lily's room (Now Adam's room, by the way) out. I would have taken a new picture, I cleaned the thing out once, but new stuff is piled over there. The plans for the house has this becoming part fo the kitchen pantry and the door to the bedroom getting framed in.


















That thing around the dishwasher. Two subtle changes - the top is finished, which a little strip in place and the cord has been rerouted. Now all I have to do is put in a piece of laminate on the side, and some sort of trim around the thing to finish it. I might just leave it until the other construction starts, so that we can see what things look like before finishing this off.

















The shed, which looks nearly done, unless you open the doors and unleash the beast that needs to get cleaned up behind there.

The mission journal. Someday this will be done. (But not today...)

Wii games. I am about 90% through both Mario Kart and Star Wars. I have also been working on Super Paper Mario and Super Mario Galaxy... But I haven't worked that hard on any of them lately for some reason.

2 comments:

Rian Krommenhoek said...

I can't wait to watch the second floor go up. So exciting. I'm sure you'll hate the process at times, but will love the end result.

Debi said...

I may not know you, but I think you are amazing. :) We added 2 16 X 16 bedrooms (one on top of the other) to our house 19 years ago. It was a huge project, but we had five kids and we were bursting at the seams in our 3 bedroom starter home. We had someone else frame it up for us, but my husband (Mike) did everything else from electricity and plumbing, to sheetrocking (then tape and bedding), siding, and roofing. He also put in a new air conditioning and heating system to handle the larger home. He thought he could take off work for 2 weeks and finish the entire thing, but it wound up taking that whole 2 weeks and then 4 or 5 more months (working after work) before everything was painted and ready to move in to. We checked books out from the library for information on how to do everything. It was well worth all the time and effort. You will love your home with the second story! If you are doing this yourself like we did, you may not have much time to blog in the future. :)