Monday, March 30, 2009

An update on the addition plans

I am still fiddling with the plans for the 2nd floor of the house. Our appraisal came back on the existing house, we think we have enough money to do this, at least in theory. (I need to get some soft numbers soon, I have been trying to get the plans right first so people can give me some fairly close bids...) If I don't hear back from the credit union tomorrow, I plan to call them back, because the underwriter has had the stuff for 6 days now, and was working on things actively on Friday, I assume things are just about ready. I also need to find out if I should pay my April mortgage payment or not...

I talked to the building inspector for the city today, he liked what I had done with the plans so far, and thought they were very clean. (The beauty of using the computer to draw the plans, I guess.) He gave me some "suggestions" on what else to do, meaning the plans will not get approved without some of the details on the sheet he gave me. He also told me to get in touch with a structural engineer to validate and stamp the plans. The engineer would verify that the house could hold the addition. (One big thing Tara doesn't want is the house falling in because it couldn't hold the weight.) I suppose that means I need to do a drawing of the foundation, crawlspace, and basement area, with the retaining walls down there.

The first floor plans now include a list of changes to be made to the existing house. Some of this we can do right away, some needs to wait.
The plans for the second floor are essentially still the same, I expect that the closet to bedroom #4 will be a little smaller to accommodate heating/cooling ducts. I think I can take these up to the roof, and push the air down, I am not exactly sure. It's one of those things I still need to ask someone about.

The building inspector said to include a site plan for the construction, the example they have is about as detailed as this one is, so I think this is ok, I can't imagine there is a lot left to do here.

What's left on the plans? Not much I hope. I need to get an estimate for the roof trusses, Drew (Who just got occupancy permission on his addition, if it matters to anyone out there...) tells me that they will print out some drawings when you do the estimate that you can include with your plans. I need to get the answer on the HVAC questions. I think I also have to do an electrical diagram, showing sets of things will go to what breakers, which switches do what, etc. I also need to ask the city what they think about pulling the power to the new roof line, which will get the power lines up higher in our back yard. I have never liked how low they are back there, and if we can tie it to the new roof line, there will be plenty of room to stick a tree in the corner of the back yard...

No comments: