Friday, February 17, 2006

Replacement Windows

We just heard someone pitch us new windows in the house. The windows sound nice enough, and seem to be nice quality. They manufacture the windows themselves, so you wouldn't have to do any new framing, siding, etc.

One of the deals here is that they are looking to do some work, then have a sign out front of the house for something like 3 months. They manufacture all the windows, then bring them in and get all the work done the same day.

The guy was nice enough, we went through measuring the windows. He eventually came up with a bid for $8800 for the double moving sliders, and $8100 for the single moving sliders. (They also have double and single hung widows, but he didn't give us a bid for that.) They offer financing (of course), and even 'could work out' a year same as cash.

After his pitch was done, he asked us what we thought. (My answer was that we would call him on Tuesday with an answer.) He interrupted, and said "I know what you will say: 'We have to pray about it', 'I have to sleep on it', or whatever, but it all means no." I told him I may call him on Tuesday (and was going to say that Tara and I would not commit to it without talking to each other with him not in the room, but he interrupted again.) He said we could take it or leave it, if we called the company direct, they would give a 10% discount, but the discount would not be the same. Then he said that the discount would not be in effect by Tuesday, he only had 4 people he could give the deal to in the area, if we didn't do it tonight, it would be too late, so we could agree or he would be on his way. I thanked him for coming and showed him the door.

At this point he was ticking me off a little. For one, see the previous post about not being prepared to deal with people today. For another, at night, the testosterone was wearing off, I get a little irritable at night. (A least quicker to it. I believe the term is 'roid rage'.) I was still very polite and let him out nicely.

I figure if we wanted, I could call him Tuesday or Wednesday, tell him we might still be interested, but we wanted single hung windows, and wanted a good deal on it, and he would still fall all over himself to get back here and get our business. In our area, there are a lot of non-resident landlords, and a lot of people would couldn't/wouldn't replace their windows. Our neighborhood is likely an area they would like to get some business in. Any way around it, if I call him back on Tuesday, we then deal with them on our terms, not on their terms. (Do people really do on-the-spot purchases like that?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, there's some kind of research that on the spot purchases are more likely than if they wait, and cruddy salespeople go nutzoid trying to get the on the spot purchase.

But I won't purchase on the spot, no matter what the "corporate policy" or whatever. Its my own personal way of deciding if I should really buy it. If I still want it on Tuesday, it must be worthwhile...

Scott