Wednesday, February 08, 2006

"They said there was a demon in the air. They said that whoever challenged him would die."

Still writing my paper. Tara stayed up for a while, and watched Fantastic Four. (A pretty good movie...) She gave up at about 1:45. After she went to bed, I popped in The Right Stuff. A few weeks ago at the store, they were selling 5 stick packs of Beemans chewing gum for a nickel each. I bought 30 packs. If you don't know what Beemans chewing gum has to do with the movie The Right Stuff, I suggest you go watch the movie.

I'm getting tired, I thought I would tell everyone about my new stick.

Ledge brought new sticks to work today. The stick is made of oak and it about a foot long, maybe a half inch wide, and a quarter inch thick. (Estimated size, really.) My old stick was about the same size, Ledge says this one is an 1/8 of an inch thicker. (As if that will stop me...)

I got my old one from him years ago. I used to pick it up if something was bothering me. (Or someone.) I would tap it against the back of my head, walk down the hall hitting the old lockers with it, hold it under the table and flex it a little, stuff like that. I don't know who many times it kept me from not saying the things I was thinking, especially on the phone. For a while, the old stick started bending just slightly in one direction, I made sure to start flexing it the other way.
It was a pretty effective stick. Especially for the money I paid for it. One day about a year ago, I was talking to someone on the phone who was really ticking me off. The conversation ended on a really bad note, I broke my stick in half. Not over my knee or anything, just in half. I think I scared the guy who used to sit next to me. (Maybe that's why he switched back into the DBA team...) Evereyone got really quiet for a while after I broke my stick and tossed it in the garbage. (And after some said 'What was that?' 'My stick' 'Oh.') I think everyone else's sticks kind of disappeared after that...

Anyhow, I don't know what an extra 1/8 of an inch will do for me, I haven't been that mad too many times since then. It will be nice to have a stick to play with again.

Ledge brought everyone sticks. When i got in this morning, they all had their names written on the sides of their sticks. I just wrote PAIN on the ends of mine. Should be an effective pointing tool.

Tomorrow, if you are in my building, and you hear the sound of something banging on the lockers, that's me with my new stick...

Name that movie:
"... What's your prediction for the fight?"
"My prediction?"
"Yeah."
"PAIN!"

I gotta get back to work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you get paid by the hour? overtime? anything?

and where is the quote from-- not the movie quote, that title quote?

jjp said...

I am salary. No overtime, no hourly. They own me. Usually when this happens, I work less at the end of the week, or just don't come in at the beginning of the next week, unless something bad happens.

I know they apprieciate me, Isn't that good enough?

The quote in the title is from the first 2 lines of The Right Stuff.

Dave said...

Movie sounds kind of Rocky. How many guesses will you take? How about 3 guesses?

jjp said...

Clubber Lang (Mr. T) in Rocky III

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh! I think I need a stick! I can think of all kinds of scenarios this last week that a stick in hand would definitely helped..... never thought of a stick.... I did throw my keys at the wall one day a couple of weeks ago though.... that was pretty effective.... the offender didn't come back to our office for almost 10 days.... and then she tried to make up.... wasn't happenin'.