Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Book Report


Coincidences, Chaos, and All that Math Jazz: Making light of weighty matters
Edward Burger & Michael Starbird.

This is a book about math. Before you pick it up, make no mistake about it. Having said that, the authors are funny. (At least they appeal to my sense of humor, I don't know what that says to you...) When they say they make light of it, they really do.

The authors start simple. They have a very clear way of expressing their points. Did I meantion they are funny? They spent a full chapter discussing statistics and how troublesome they can be. (A hot point for me any time I listen to the news or read the newspaper.)

There are a lot of illustrations the authors use to show their points, it leads to the concepts that may be a little difficult to understand to stay focused on ending up moving right along, until they move to the next topic.

If you want a good math book, that sort of just breezes through different Math topics, this is the book for you. If you start reading it, and eventually your head starts to hurt, that may be a good time to put the book down. (And your head may start to hurt unless you have taken more than a normal person's amount of math classes, the concepts get more and more complex as the book goes on...) I just labeled myself abnormal. Is there anyone to refute this?

Having said all of that, I would recommend this book to anyone. They may end up cursing me out and sleeping it off for three days, but I would still recommend the book. Also, if you have every wondered if you had a rope (of length) that tied your feet together, and you wondered how you would get your pants on inside out without untying or otherwise severing the rope, this book's for you.

1 comment:

Mom said...

No arguments here.... I think abnormal is a good thing.