Sunday, March 30, 2008

Book Review

Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man
Robert J Millet


This little book was a book Tara got me for Christmas this past year. I only just now got around to it. (I've been reading the other book she got me for Christmas off and on since then. I've only got about 30 pages in that one, but I left it home from this trip because of luggage problems.)

Anyway, Brother Millet wrote the book in an effort "to awaken us, to nudge our consciences, to educate our desires, to call us to higher ground, and to provoke us to glimpse and grasp the power with which we have been endowed." (I couldn't think of a better way to say besides just repeating it.)

He then goes through a bunch of different topics in relation to being a priesthood holder, and being a better priesthood holder. It was an interesting little book. At the end of each chapter he gave some 'points to ponder', in case we weren't picking them up out of the text.

I thought it was a good little book, I thought it would take me longer to read than it did.

Some things (or questions) that I am taking away from it, some from him, some I thought of: (To work on, I guess...)
  • What kind of priesthood legacy am I leaving? I have been thinking a lot about this question in the past couple of months, since we found out we are having a boy, by the way. (It's different when all your kids are girls.)
  • To what extent am I driven more by the pressing than the eternal? What are some instances in the past week in which the most important matters of my life took a back seat to matters of lesser worth?
  • If my wife or children were asked what the most important things in their husband's or father's life are, how would they answer. (Tara tried answering some of this question in the book itself, she left me little notes about me. This means you are gonna have to go get your own copy of the book, I'm keeping mine.)
  • What can I do to help my home teaching companion better understand the vision and purpose of home teaching? There are reasons he's my companion, and I don't help him out enough sometimes.
  • How can I be more involved with the members of my Elders quorum? It's easy for me to be not involved, I'm often busy in and around church. Sometimes I think the Elders quorum doesn't want to ask me to do something because they think I am already plenty busy. I also don't always go out of my way to get to know some of the quorum members...
  • What do my daughters or my wife understand about the power and blessings of the priesthood as a result of their interactions with me? I'm not very quick to suggest a priesthood blessing might help, or be warranted, in a situation. When I do ask the girls and they say no, I don't always press them on it. I hope I at least am quick to respond when asked, and have never refused anyone when given the opportunity...
Anyhow, maybe I shouldn't have this list here. Then again, what can it hurt?

No comments: