Monday, March 31, 2008

Restaurant review

Carmine's
NYC - Times Square

Mob food.

After class got out this afternoon, we got ready to drive into the city for dinner. It rained most of the day, and was still raining. Gale didn't really want to go into the city with us, I think he was a little worried about what we were going to eat. We drove down the road looking for a chicken place to get him something, he decided that he wanted us to drop him off at a mall. The mall he had us drop him off at was something like 3 miles from the hotel, and it was still raining, but he insisted, so we dumped him off there.

We drove into the city, and found ourselves a parking spot on the East side of the park. We met Rob at the subway platform in Grand Central station, we had decided to go for some good Italian food, I really wanted spaghetti and meatballs, but real spaghetti and meatballs. Rob had a place for us to go in Times Square. I guess Rob knows someone who has eaten t every single restaurant in Manhattan. Something like that.

You walk into Carmine's, and it really looks like an Italian restaurant. Pictures of 'the family' on all the walls, covered tablecloths, that sort of thing. We ordered fried zucchini, spaghetti and meatballs, and the Farfalle chicken, which was the special of the day. The zucchini ended up being a giant pile of shredded fried zucchini. I ate too much of this stuff, but it was good. The 2 entries came, (it's a family style place) and were giant platters of food. I ate 2 plates of each kind, including 2 giant meatballs. I was mostly full by then, and Rob reminded me of our old trips to Brick Oven, when I would have 6 or 7 plates of pasta, so I had another half plate of spaghetti. I am still stuffed.

I don't know who this Carmine fellow is, I didn't see the guy from Laverne and Shirley, but the pasta was really, really good.

Tomorrow: Not sure about lunch (Jess has been impressed with the picks so far and wants me to find another for lunch. I created a monster), maybe Indian or Korean for dinner...

No comments: