Saturday, March 25, 2006

Adirondack Chair

I have spent the better part of the last 8 hours building a chair. In the last hour, I have put the parts together and it actually looks like a chair. That's the good news. The bad news is that the plans I was using have a number of errors in them. (The parts list is missing a part, they had the wrong pieces of wood listed and a couple of parts with the wrong length listed.) I have made a couple of modifications to get it completely together. It doesn't look exactly like it should, but I've done what I could, it's staying like it is. I guess I'm a little disappointed it didn't go together completely right, but I got to make some field modifications, and I ended up using a compass on the thing, (circles, not magnetic north) so it will be ok. It's not like anyone is going to look over the thing with a critical eye, I'm an HPUX systems engineer, not a carpenter...

I still need to sand it all down, putty the holes where the screws went, and paint the thing, but it's a functional chair at this point. Before I do any others, I need to find a new set of plans, or make my own based on the one that's here. (Modify what I've got, that's likely what I will do...) I have made something else out of this book I have, it went together ok, maybe this project in the book is the exception. (I hope.)

As soon as the thing is completely done, I'll post a picture of it.

No comments: