Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Ever have those days when you just shouldn't have gotten out of bed?

I'm on-call this week, so my phone rings at 7:30am (of course). They aren't really looking for me, but they don't know who to call. I end up getting 10 calls before I can get to work.

An application broke yesterday, most of the developers who support it are in nashville at a conference. The people who are left can't figure out the problem. To top it off, it's in part related to people deleting their cookies out of their browser. If people call in our front level support people with a web problem, they have them clear out their cookies.

Another server went down on Saturday with a hardware failure. It's still not fixed. The developers on that one decided they really wanted it, I set up to run the server in a different chassis. I shut the other machine down, and started moving disks around. After booting up the new chassis, I discover that the old server is still there. This confuses me because I swapped the disks. It turns out that the hardware guys put the wrong labels on the front of 2 servers. I was pulling spinning disks out & replacing them, the server was trying to remirror, and corrupted root disk of the machine I wanted to boot up. I have now reinstalled the oS on that machine, and I am ready to restore all the data from tape, but the hardware guys just took the tape silo offline for a couple of hours.

To top it all off, I have a dentist appointment in a hour and a half.

No comments: