Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Peas are in the ground

I planted my peas tonight. (After High Council meeting.) It will get warm (60 and up starting tomorrow through the weekend) so I thought today was just as good a day as any. It snowed pretty good a few days ago, the ground is pretty moist. The ground is kind of cold, but I think it will be ok, it should warm up pretty good tomorrow.

I had previously posted an entry with a diagram where I planned on interwaeving the types of pea plant. I did not do this, here is what I did instead:



The pole peas, it turns out, can be planted with spacing like a snap pea, so I didn't want to waste the space. I planted pole peas outside and inside the triangles, and did two rows of snap peas. I will have to figure out how to support the snap peas. There are 2 problems to consider: support and quail. Hopefully the quail will have moved on to better pastures finally, but I think they really like the pine tree next door. Maybe I will have to start building quail traps.

In the past, I have tried chicken wire for support of pea plants, I really didn't like how it turned out. (Too hard to harvest and weed.) I suppose I should build some sort of trellis type thing to do the snap peas, they don't grow higher than 3 feet. If I build them, and they work, I would be able to stop trying to reinvent the thing each year. The only thing I am kind of concerned about is the amount of light the plants would get. Maybe that's not a factor if the tressis sits inside the rows, but then I still have to fight the birds. Any suggestions?

No comments: