Tuesday, March 21, 2006

My new hobby

The other day I noticed that the envelopes that the netflix DVD's are shipped in have 2 numbers on them in the mailing address section. The ones I have in my posession are zeros and ones. (I have the following unique sets: {0,0},{0,1},{1,1})

When I discovered this, I started thinking to myself "I wonder what this means..." Is it some sort of mail ranking? (Some combination makes it come a day later? Sometimes our disks come the day after they say they ship, sometimes they do not.) Is it some sort of code they use to estimate how long I will hold onto the disk? I have started to collect these things. I mark down how long it takes for the disk to arrive. I should also be writing down the disk that came with it, but so far I have not.

Am I paranoid? I'm always thinking about something or the other, it must have been rattling around there somewhere. The numbers must mean something, otherwise they wouldn't waste the ink on them. I would not have noticed it if the numbers stayed the same all the time, but a little switch in the back of my head seems to have flipped on the other day.

If I figure out this is some sort of mail queuing thing, I'll let you know. (I'll let everyone know. I'll ask Netflix if they can just always queue my disks at the fastest number pair...)

This is the kind of thing that comes from always thinking. Let that be a warning to you.

No comments: