Monday, March 27, 2006

Book Report


Joseph Smith Rough Stone Rolling: A cultural biography of Mormonism's founder
Richard Bushman

I have been reading this book off and on since Christmas. Up until about two weeks ago, it was mostly off, not on.

This book is not written with the intent to make any converts. Bushman does not jump on one side of the issue or the other. (any issue he talked about.) He seems to mantain a scholarly look at the life of Joseph Smith, nothing more.

We have talked about this book in Stake Presidency meeting a number of times, sometimes at length. It has many interesting things in it, and a lot of research was done to get it done.

The book started pretty slow for me, it took a long while to get into it, but once I did, I think I liked it. It was definitely interesting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i read it. i have a slightly different take from you. I do agree that it was a little slow.

jjp said...

What was your take on the book?

Anonymous said...

he seemed to want to defend Joseph Smith at every controversy. i thought the book was very slanted with positive info. which is fine, as i like the positive info.

he also seemed to jump around the facts of his life in order to explain his doctrine.

rob (i forgot to sign my name above)

jjp said...

Maybe it was the fact that the opposing view was there flavored my opinion.