Thursday, July 06, 2006

Baseball predictions - midseason review

Back on April 1, I made some predictions for the baseball season. We are now half way through the season, time to review. The following are my previous predictions and how that's working out for me:

NL Playoff teams:

NY Mets - Best record in the NL. They are 12.5 games aheada of the next team in their division, things look good for them at this point.

Chicago Cubs - They are 14.5 games back in their division, with a 36% winning percentage. The Cubs had a pretty good April, then tanked it. That's the way it goes, I guess. So much for my World Series prediction.

LA Dodgers - They are only 1/2 a game back in their division. Each of the teams in the division could take it, it will be interesting to watch.

Washingtons Nationals - I didn't really say this, did I?

AL Playoff teams:

Toronto Blue Jays - 5 games back of Boston, 3 games back of NY Yankees. Could be worse.

Cleveland Indians - At least the Royals, Cubs, and Pirates are making them look good...

Oakland A's - Right on top of their division. Not nuch to say, I really haven't been listening to a lot of AL games...

Chicago White Sox - Fighting with the Detroit Tigers for control of their division. It's really too bad that you can have 5 or 6 good team in one League, only send 4 to the playoffs, even though the other league has lots of bad teams...

World Series: Chicago Cubs over Toronto Blue Jays

I just have one other thing to say. It's about Interleague play. I really liked this idea when it came out. (Cubs vs. White Sox, Dodgers vs. Angels, that sort of thing.) I'm starting to not like it so much. I think they should keep it around, maybe have rival teams continue a 3 or 6 game series, but limit it to that. Save time for playing League teams to get your losses in, not pile them all up during Interleague play. Not sure who would agree with me, but when a team in the NL gets 12 losses against AL teams, they can drop in a hurry in the standings. (And the other way works to. You can feast during Interleague play.) Anyway, that's what I think, not that it's going anywhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep 'em totally separate. None of this mixing up stuff!!! Don't make me hit if I am an AL pitcher. JJ