Friday, July 21, 2006

Burning Coal

On Wednesday when I left the house to go to Stake Presidency meeting, there was a huge pule of black smoke coming from somewhere on the south side of town. (When we have large plumes of smoke, this is normally where it happens...)

Anyway, I heard all kinds of sirens. It sounded like every emergency vehicle in town was headed that direction. When I got to the Stake center, the Stake Emergency response guy had just called, 2 train cars full of coal had exploded. Fairly soon after I got to the Stake center, the black turned to white, I assumed they got the fire out. 2 hours later, it was pouring down rain.

I went by the place I estimated the fire to have been. No sign of a destroyed train car, no coal everywhere, nothing. They either got it cleaned up, or I was looking in the wrong spot. Maybe Drew can tell me where, but he doesn't seem to put these sort of things in his blog. (He's doesn't put anything in his blog...)

So what makes a large pile of coal explode? Was it just too hot? Does that do it? It doesn't seem to be on any local news site, it's almost like it didn't happen at all. (Maybe I was hallucinating from the heat...) Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments: