Friday, July 28, 2006

System Administrator Appreciation Day

Today is Sysadmin Appreciation day. I realized this around lunchtime, and tried to get someone to take me out to lunch to show me how much they appreciated me, and didn't get any takers. I wonder what this means. (Besides the fact that it's 3 days until payday still.) My boss didn't even answer until after lunch...

After lunch, the boss called back, I let him know the purpose of the call, and he just laughed. I wondered also what this meant, but about 20 minutes later, he showed up with ice cream for us. I can handle that.

Last year, someone in the department mentioned it was sysadmin day, and told us to thank our CSR's for there work. In a normal department (and even in a 'normal' part of our department) the CSR is there to install machines, patch them, take care of them, etc. Our particular group will not let the CSR's near our machines. They are a delivery service when we get a new machine or when there is a HW problem and we need parts. That about sums it up. We took offense when he implied that the department CSRs were sysadmin in any way, shape, or form, but it could have just been hot out and we were grouchy...

I'm my own sysadmin, and I appreciate the work I do for myself. (That sounds kind of funny.)

Anyway, for all those sysadmins out there, Happy Sysadmin Day. If you don't know what a sysadmin is, go here.

No comments: