Sunday, July 09, 2006

When it rains, it pours

I had a grand scheme today that I could get to Stake Priesthood meeting tonight. Not only get there, but get there early with the agenda that the Presidency was bound to forget about until 10 minutes before the meeting.

We started the day in North Platte, Nebraska. I had gassed up the car the night before. I got everyone up and moving, they were ready for breakfast just after 7am (Central.) I took them down there, then went to pack the car. I got nearly everything packed in, and put the car keys in the ignition to see what time it was. (Warning Will Robinson! Warning!) After finishing with the packing, I shut the doors and turned to go get Tara and the girls. Then I remembered I had not locked the car. (I was looking at our hotel bill by then. Why do you pay a State Hotel Tax and an Occupancy Tax?) Anyway, I opened the door, pressed the 'lock' button, and shut the door. It took about 13 seconds for it to sink in.

Mazda has a Roadside Assistance plan that goes along with their warrenty. I used to have their number in my wallet. It's no longer there. We called a locksmith, 30 minutes and 40 dollars later, the car was open. (He got $40 for about a minute's worth of work. How do I get in on that racket?) I am just going to pretend we did not call a locksmith. I will just pretend that the hotel room was really expensive...

We got going, we were making really good time, I figured we would get home at 5 or 6, with plenty of time to spare. It rained all through Wyoming. Add that to the patches of construction, and it makes for a fun driving day. (I won't mention that I drank too many liquids at the same time, couldn't wait for the next rest stop, and pulled over. I told the girls I had to check the tires...)

At lunch, it was raining. And we couldn't decide immediately where to go. (Wendy's. I had 2 plain baked potatoes.) At the Wyoming-Utah border, there was more rain, and very bad construction related traffic.

I had to call ahead to give them the agenda, and made it for 1/2 the Priesthood meeting. It was good.

We are back, by the way.

No comments: