Sunday, July 30, 2006

Google Analytics

I went out and got myself a Google Analytics account on Friday afternoon. I don't know why I waited so long. This thing is nice. I know that their intent is to 'help' people with their businesses, but it didn't say that I couldn't use it for personal pages. Right now I have it on my site, Tara's, and Kate's. It is very interesting. It gives all kinds of facts about the people who are visiting. I know Adam visited today. Hello. I had one international visit. (Mexico) I hope to branch out. (Adam...) It's like those maps they put on RV's. I now want to fill my analytics map.

70% of you are using Internet Explorer. 30% are using Firefox. Let's get that Firefox number up, people. It appears to not detect Suse 10.1 as an OS properly. I am not all that fired up about that, to me, that's an ok security feature.

I can track visits vs. pageviews, returning vs. new visitors, that kind of thing.

My new nightly hobby will be to log in and see where people came from. Then I will shut myself in the house, eat nothing but cheetos, and sell comic books on eBay.

4 comments:

~ Amy said...

did the analytics account cost anything?

Mom said...

And, FYI, we (meaning family of soldiers in Adam's unit) are being heavily schooled in security measures regarding their soldiers. In effect, no loose lips! No info given over the phone, cell phone, in e-mails or blogs. They have been hammering it into our heads.

Dave said...

can you tell if the same person logs on with three different web browsers?

jjp said...

1) The account costs nothing

2) I now nothing

3) I can tell 3 different browers were used, but I'm pretty sure they store a cookie for the browser. (More likely, a brownie) That's the way the track. The same person with 3 browsers likely looks like 3 people.