Saturday, April 01, 2006

Baseball 2006

Baseball season starts tomorrow. I am all set with my MLB.com gameday audio subscription. mlb.com has a lot of baseball stuff on it. They have a 'milestone tracker' where you can see the projected milestones about to be made, with their projection on when it will happen. (No, they don't list the day barry bonds gets any more Home Runs. They must agree with me.)

I prefer the National League style of play much better than the American League. There's something about having to stick the pitcher out there to hit that appeals to me. (And it's funny watching the pitcher try to hit the next at bat after their rare Home Run. They always seem to think they can hit after that, you usually see people whiffing after that.) Plus you get more bunts, steals, etc out of the National league.

I have been picking a team each year since 1997 to win the World Series title. In 2000, I was rooting for the Mets. (They won) In 2001 I was rooting for the Diamondbacks. (They won. This was mostly because we had FSN Arizona on our cable system, I could what a lot of their games.) Getting it right 2 years in a row kind of got me thinking I had a streak going. Since that time, I have been 0-4. That makes me 2 of 9 since I've been making picks. Having said that, here are my picks for 2006:

NL Playoff teams: NY Mets, Chicago Cubs, LA Dodgers, Washingtons Nationals
AL Playoff teams: Toronto Blue Jays, Cleveland Indians, Oakland A's, Chicago White Sox

World Series: Chicago Cubs over Toronto Blue Jays

Everyone disagree with me immediately? Anyone care? My pick for the Cubs assumes that their 2 currently hurt pitchers, Wood and Prior get healthy and contribute. I think some of the Cubs off season pickups will make them a high scoring team. What they need is good pitching to keep the other team's scoring down...

2 comments:

Doc Payne said...

Hmmm.. I was looking at the Phillies losing to the White Sox in the World Series.... Not quite as interested this year cause they don't play many games in Iraq...

Anonymous said...

Here is my bush league take:

National league: LA Dodgers, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Atlanta

American league: NYY, Toronto, Cleveland, LA Angels

Championship: NYY, LA Dodgers

Champ: LA Dodgers

John J.