Thursday, April 06, 2006

Have I ever mentioned that my name is on the terror watch list?

Luckily my birthdate is not...

Every time I go to the airport, I end up having to wait while they call up someone, give them my name, driver's license number and birthdate, then issue the tickets. It happened again this morning. The guy didn't look to happy that he had to call. Incidently, there were 2 people checking in at the same time headed to Baltimore, the Amsterdam. (Not Americans.) They started getting hassled too. The girl ended up on the plane, I have no idea what happened to the guy.

A year ago we were flying, and we had tickets from Delta. It turns out that the second leg of the flight home was Continental. We were in Ft. Myers, Florida. We got the tickets, and started walking away, when I looked at them. We were missing the 2nd leg for me. (I'm glad I looked, by the way.) We went back, the Delta people said my name was on the watch list, they couldn't release the 2nd leg that went through Continental. I went to the Continental desk, they said they couldn't issue the ticket, I had to do it in Newark. The Delta people in Ft. Myers agreed with them. Our flight got into Newark late, we didn't have a lot of time, and the funny thing about Newark is that the terminal is very fractured, they have multiple security points. We had to go through security to get to the next flight. Before this happened, I had to wait for a long time for the guy at the Continental desk to figure out what was going on and get me a boarding pass. We ended up having to run to the plane.

Last October, I went to Ft. Collins, Colorado with my boss. I was telling him that I needed to be there a little earlier than normal to get through security because I was on the watch list. He didn't believe me until we went to the kiosk, and his name was 'ready for check in' but my name was 'please speak to a customer service representative.'

Now I don't necessarily blame them for putting my full name on the watch list (wouldn't you?), but sometimes it can be quite a hassle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John Payne,

You should not be on the terrorist watch list, but you should be on the "able to do random things at a moment's notice" watch list.

rob