Monday, April 17, 2006

New Laptop

We are ordering new laptops tomorrow at work. We had several different models to choose from, some that were desktop replacements (How it is a replacement if I do not currently have a desktop?), some that were smaller machines with a beefy desktop. For 3 of the 4 options, we could choose between a 24" flat monitor, or 2 20" monitors.

I really did not want a Desktop, it would annoy me to have to connect back to it to get anything done. Some people at work like that sort of thing, but I would rather carry the things I need with me all in one machine. (This also prevents the old "Which machine did I stick that on?" problem.)

The 2 different laptops were a Dell D820 and a Dell M90. It didn't matter a whole lot between the 2 to me, I picked the D820 last week. The D820 is the same size as my current machine, with more processor, memory, disk space, better video card, etc. The M90's screen is 2.5 inches bigger, and has a lots better video card than the D820. I thought the D820 was signifigantly cheaper than the M90, but today I found out that it was not.

I don't really use the external monitor that much (maybe I will with the 20" model), but a couple of factors made me choose the M90: the order comes with a new backpack which fits the laptop (it would fit in mine, being larger), the laptop came with 2 batteries (I was down to one on this laptop), everyone else in the office was getting one (making it easier to fix a problem in Linux as we can share configuration files if we ever have a problem), and the video card and wireless card are supported in Suse Linux, I wasn't sure about the D820. The M90 only has 1 20" monitor, but like I said, I rarely use it...

Even if they change the configuration tomorrow at the last minute, it will be a very nice machine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

always go with the better video card. think of the games.

rob

jjp said...

If I owned or played the games that needed that kind of video card, I would worry about it. I don't, and usually don't, so I don't.

It does mean I can get better resolution, and more screen space, which I really do like.